A quick sitrep from Irvine, California from the IBJJJF 2017 Pan Jiu-Jitsu Championship. The black belts started today, with preliminary rounds from divisions with more than 16 competitors taking place on the morning of March 18.
Notable results include:
• John Combs submitted European champion Marcos Tinoco in the opening round of the middleweight division with his signature guillotine. Combs will face Clark Gracie next round.
• Mansher Khera was DQ'd in his match with Marcio Andre in the second round of the lightweight division. Khera won his first match by armbar, while Andre had a bye. The Nova Uniao black belt advanced when the New York black belt's leg attack turned into an accidental reaping position.
• 2016 World lightweight champ Lucas Lepri submitted Philip Layne Miller with a choke from the back.
• Francisco 'Sinistro' Iturralde submitted Enrique Galarza in the first round of the lightweight division.
• Johnny Tama (pictured top) beat Victor Matos of Zenith in his first Pans as a black belt.
• AJ Agazarm bombed out in the first round 2-0 to João Paulo Alves of Alliance.
• Middleweights Josh Hinger and Jon Satava both won their first matches and will clash in the second round.
• Michael Liera Jr may have had the submission of the tournament so far, catching an omoplata on one side and an armlock on the far arm.
[instagram url="https://www.instagram.com/p/BRyeOTADu97/?taken-by=flograppling" hide_caption="0"]
[instagram url="https://www.instagram.com/p/BRyg9V5j7yZ/?taken-by=flograppling" hide_caption="0"]
How to Watch the IBJJF 2017 Pan Jiu-Jitsu ChampionshipOn TV: Now available on Roku and Apple TV 4 -- download the FloSports app today.
STREAMING: Available only on FloGrappling via monthly or yearly memberships. A yearly FloPRO subscription provides access to ALL FloSports sites. SIGN UP HERE
Join The Conversation On Social• Follow us on Twitter @FloGrappling
• Follow us on Instagram @FloGrappling
• Follow us on Facebook