Unlock this article, live events, and more with a subscription!
Already a subscriber? Log In
The latest groundswell in technical evolution for the gi world comes in the refinement of lapel guard and its many guises.
To be sure, variations of lapel guard have been used at the highest level of jiu-jitsu for some time (Queixinho and Cobrinha have been killing it with lapeloplatas since 2013 and earlier), but still, there is no denying that the lapel guard exploded as a mainstream system after Keenan Cornelius released his Lapel Encyclopedia.
The Polish Wormrider, ringworm, Squid guard – words and phrases that seem to have very little to do with jiu-jitsu – have entered mainstream consciousness and come to dominate the competition scene.
But this is not just wordplay - the lapel guard has also become a winning strategy - with athletes from all levels wielding it to their advantage. If you have any competition goals whatsoever, you cannot afford to ignore the fearsome worm.
Hit the links below to see our favorite matches, instructionals, and interviews surrounding the lapel guard position.
Lapel Guard Matches To Watch
Keenan Cornelius Subs Victor Honorio Via Gubber Guard
- Rui Alves With The Smooth Worm Back Take
- Ribamar Rides The Polish Worm To Submission Victory
- Keenan Debuts Worm Passing ON Mahamed Aly
- Erich Munis Wormbolo
- Levi Jones Leary With Self Lapel Wrap
- Bonus: Andris Brunoskivis Catches Wormbar from the belt grip reverse worm
Our Favorite Lapel Guard Technique Videos
Fix My Game With Manuel Ribamar: Modern Lapel Strategies & Core Passing Principals
- Lapel Assisted Pendulum Sweep With Draculino
- Gabriel Sousa Shows How To Pass Lapel Guards
- Jamil Hill Taylor Shows Off Lapel Lasso Ankle Lock
- Rui Alves Drilling Polish Worm Rider Attacks
- Every Lapel Related Technique Video